We get to the bottom of lubricant issues. Bench tests and component examinations as application-specific solutions to problems.
Accredited test procedures
- The proficiency of our test laboratories in Munich for testing in the following areas was accredited by Deutsche Akkreditierungsstelle GmbH (DAkkS): physical, physical-chemical and chemical analyses of lubricants, fuels and insulating oils; element qualification in lubricants via wavelength-dispersive X-ray fluorescence analysis; tribological examinations of lubricants; sampling of lubricants and fuels.
- The entire list of our accredited test procedures can be found in our accreditation certificate.
- DB Systemtechnik is QMS certified to the ISO 9001 standard.
The detailed and latest list of activities/test procedures in the flexible scope of accreditation in the testing laboratory "Tribological examinations" can be found in this PDF:
Prüflabor Tribologie-Tribotechnik - Aktuelle Liste Prüfverfahren im flexiblen Akkredtierungsbereich (Stand 29.06.2022)
Our tests and test quantities
We can realise the following test conditions:
- Standardised test stands (selection): FE8, FE9, V2F, FZG, VKA
- Test stands, DB method (selection): 2-disc test stand, switch plate lubricants test machine, UV compatibility, R2F, SKS centrifuge test stand
- Climate chambers for lubricant testing in components
- Development of technical specifications
- Development of application-specific test procedures
- Approval tests in accordance with technical specifications
- Conformity tests for quality monitoring of lubricated greases
- Approval tests in accordance with DIN EN 12081
- Cost-effective processes by way of LIMS application
We offer these tests:
Please refer to the list of test procedures for our entire portfolio of testing and inspection services.
Approval testing in accordance with DIN EN 12081 and extended DB specification
We offer the full range of testing and inspection services for compliance with this standard. We have defined optional specifications referenced by the standard in our official Deutsche Bahn standard as well as specified key data for railway operation field testing.
Friction value measurements on track with our tribometer
Conducting friction value measurements on the rail head allows qualified statements to be made regarding the condition of the lubrication. The operative function of functionality of wheel flange lubricating systems and rail head conditioning can therefore be assessed. Our experience with this testing has already taken us all the way to Saudia Arabia.
We test lubricants directly on components in our climate exposure test cabinets. We have simulated temperature and humidity/moisture conditions during operation as well as conducted endurance trial testing for clamplock and brake cylinders, for example. The test stands can be adapted to meet your specific requirements as needed.
Testing of flange lubricants/systems
The lubricant as well as the system itself have a large impact on the lubrication of the wheel flange. As a safety-relevant lubricant, these products are subjected to the highest quality testing levels at DB AG. We carry out approval tests in accordance with the DB specification and DIN EN 16028. By leveraging self-developed testing methods, we also examine such key properties as sprayability at low temperatures and adhesion to wheels at high speed. Both tests actually involve opposing criteria in their chemical and technical product implementation and only form a very small area of overlap when it comes to developing suitable product solutions. Here too, however, the DB approval is the quality seal.
The tests have already been referred to as the "ironman of approval testing procedures" but are justified due to the large impact the systems have on driving safety. We test wheel flange lubrication systems in the climate chamber and carry out spray tests on the centrifuge test stand.